Secure Access to Your Accounts
When using Altra’s Mobile Banking application you’re protected by these security features:
- Altra Secure ID ~ Free identity protection powered by ID Theft 911. Click here to learn more.
- Self-selected username and password to confirm your identity and ensure the privacy of each Mobile Banking session you conduct
- Personal security question to further guard against identity theft
- Advanced encryption technology to prevent unauthorized access
- Privacy protection of your financial information as detailed in our Privacy Notice
- Your session automatically ends when you exit the application, and it will automatically time out if you get sidetracked
Types of Mobile Fraud
SMS Phishing is a form of criminal activity via cell phone messages to get you to divulge your personal information, including financial or account information, Social Security number, date of birth, ATM PIN or credit card information, for use in committing fraud or other crimes. A criminal sends you a message that tries to trick you into replying with financial or personal information or clicking on links that will sneak viruses into your mobile device. Don’t respond to a text message that requests personal or financial information. Altra will never ask you to provide your information in this way.
Lost and Stolen Devices
Mobile phones and tablet devices offer convenience, but they’re also easy to lose or steal, which can put your information at risk. Here are some ways you can protect yourself if your device is lost or stolen:
- Password-protect your device so it can’t be accessed unless the password is entered
- Enable your keypad lock or phone lock function on your device to lock the device when its not in use
- Consider using a remote wipe program that gives you the ability to remotely delete all data on your device
- Keep a record of the devices make, model, phone number, and serial number in case it’s stolen
Mobile malware is malicious software that is installed on your device with the intent to steal your personal information or financial details. One of the main ways that the malware can access your phone is through the Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth. Only use secure and trusted Wi-Fi networks and keep Bluetooth switched off when you aren’t using it. If your device supports security and anti-virus software, consider installing that software. Backup the device’s data and keep the copy in a safe and secure location.
Mobile Security Tips
Be Protected with Fraud Alerts
With Altra’s Mobile app, simply enable push notifications to set up protection alerts. With protection alerts, you can:
- Get updates when irregular or fraudulent activity is detected on your account
- Verify fraudulent charges in seconds
Change Your Passwords Regularly
We recommend that you change your password regularly to help prevent unauthorized access to your account. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Make your password long. The recommended minimum is eight characters, but 14 is even better.
- Create strong passwords for your accounts using a combination of letters, numbers, upper and lower case, and symbols
- Avoid easy-to-guess words and things that can be looked up, such as your name, hometown, birthday, or zip code
- Use different passwords for all the sites you use
To update your password:
- Log in to www.altra.org
- Select “User Options”
- Choose “Change Password”
Protect Your Personal Information
Use the keypad lock or phone lock function on your mobile device so that no one else can use it or view your information when it’s not in use. Keep your device in a secure location when you are not using it to protect it from being stolen or used by an unauthorized party. Do not store sensitive or personal information on your mobile device, such as passwords and account numbers.
Mobile Payments – Your wallet. Without the wallet.
Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay make it easy to make contactless payments in stores, in apps, and on-the-go. Altra gives you the security to pay with confidence. Use your Altra card to authorize payments with a touch of a finger in apps and at hundreds of thousands of stores and restaurants, including a growing number of popular brands — all without exposing your actual card number to the merchant.
Use Care Before Downloading Apps
Verify that the Site is Secure
Be cautious about the sties you visit and the information you release. When banking and shopping on your mobile device, check to be sure the sites are secure. Look for web addresses with https: in the address. This means the site takes extra measures to help secure your information.
When in Doubt, Don’t Respond
Don’t open unfamiliar attachments, emails, or text messages from unknown sources. Requests for personal information or a call for immediate action are almost always a scam. Altra Federal Credit Union will never ask that you verify any account information over the phone or through email. If you receive an email purportedly from Altra that you feel is suspicious, please FORWARD that email to [email protected] to verify authenticity.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 800-755-0055.