Home Loan Choices
Buying, building or refinancing?
You've come to the right place for a variety of home loan choices.
Let Altra's experienced Mortgage Lending team provide you with financing options along with information about down payment, credit, income requirements and everything else you need to know about your mortgage.
We currently offer mortgages in Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin.
Home Loan Options
Altra Federal Credit Union has a variety of loan programs including fixed and adjustable rate loans. Some even require little or no down payment and are geared toward first time home buyers. We can help you get you into a home that’s right for you.
Conventional Fixed Rate Mortgages
If you prefer knowing that your rate and payment won’t change or if you plan to stay in your home for a while, this may be the loan option for you. A fixed rate mortgage means the interest rate will stay the same for the entire term of your loan.
- Loan terms available: 10, 15, 20, and 30 years
- Minimum 3% down payment required
Adjustable Rate Mortgages (ARMs)
This type of loan may be ideal if you plan to move or refinance in a few years and are looking for a lower monthly payment than a fixed rate loan typically offers. The rate is fixed for the initial term you select and is guaranteed not to increase more than 2% yearly or 6% over the life of the loan
- 3/1, 5/1 & 7/1 year ARMs
- Qualified borrowers may be able to finance up to 95% of the purchase price or appraised value (whichever is less)
- Loan terms available: 15, 20 & 30 years
Federal Housing Authority (FHA)
The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) insures mortgage loans used to purchase or refinance your primary residence. FHA loans offer a low down payment and provide the security of a fixed-rate mortgage and features:
- 3.5% borrower investment based on sales price (Can be a gift from family, employer, charitable organization or local government assistance.)
- Flexible credit requirements
- No income limits
- Maximum loan amount varies by county
- Non-traditional credit may be acceptable.
- Loan terms available: 15 & 30 years
Federal VA Loans
With a VA Loan you can use the Military Benefits you've already earned to purchase the home of your dreams or refinance your existing home! Benefits of a VA Home Loan:
- No down payment required
- No mortgage insurance
- Loan terms available: up to 30 years
- Special requirements apply
Construction Loan (Not available in all areas)
When you’re ready to build, we’re ready to assist by providing a short term loan with interest only payments during the home construction period. The funds are disbursed to the builder as the work progresses and your monthly interest only payment is based on the loan balance. When your home is complete you can convert the construction loan to a conventional fixed rate or an adjustable rate mortgage loan.
- Fixed rate / interest-only payments
- Loan terms available: 10 months
- Up to 90% of the appraised value of the completed home may be financed
- Refinance into permanent home loan
- Choose a Conventional Fixed or ARM loan
Residential Lot Loan
We can provide the funds to help you purchase your future home site.
- 3 year balloon
- Loan terms available: up to 30 years maximum
- 10 % down payment required
The Altra Difference
- Streamlined application process with lower closing costs than other lenders
- Make your payments locally – we service over 99% of the loans we provide to our members
- Great closing costs and mortgage insurance rates
- In-house loan programs can be tailored to fit your home buying needs