Register your Credit Card and Debit Card for Fraud Alerts
You can now register your own card for Fraud Alerts through Online Banking. Click the Link below for a Step-by-Step guide on Enrollment.
Equifax Data Breach – What You Need To Know
Last updated Oct. 12, 2017
With over 143 million records compromised, it is very likely that your personal data was compromised in the Equifax data breach. The information accessed included names, Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, birth dates and other personal information. This is the information someone could use to open bank accounts, credit cards, and loans in your name, as well as file fraudulent tax returns.
What can you do to protect yourself right now?
- First and foremost, find out whether your information was compromised. Go to www.equifax.com. Select the “Potential Impact” tab and enter your last name and the last six digits of your Social Security number. Make sure you’re on a secure computer and an encrypted network connection. You may also call the Equifax hotline at 866-447-7559 to find out whether your information was affected.
- Equifax will only be attempting to contact those affected via paper mail. Do not respond to any emails claiming to be from Equifax. They will only communicate via US Mail.
- Set up Visa Purchase alerts for your Visa cards. Click here to enroll in this free service
Steps to take if your information was compromised:
- Sign up for an identity theft monitoring service. Altra offers two programs for members:
- Altra Secure ID – Free ID Theft Resolution
If you have an Altra checking account or credit card, you and your family have access to Altra Secure ID, a free identity management service powered by CyberScout™. This service is available for when a member has had an identity compromise. It does not provide pro-active monitoring. Learn more about Altra Secure ID
- Altra Secure ID Monitoring – 24/7 Fraud Monitoring & Protection
Consider adding additional protection with Altra Secure ID Monitoring, a comprehensive identity protection and management service powered by CyberScout™ Learn more about Altra Secure ID Monitoring
- Check your credit reports from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — for free — by visiting annualcreditreport.com. Accounts or activity that you don’t recognize could indicate identity theft. It is a good idea to order one report a few months apart, not all three at once, to keep an eye on activity.
- Place a fraud alert on your records. A fraud alert warns creditors that you may be an identity theft victim and that they should verify that anyone seeking credit in your name really is you. Once you place a fraud alert with one nationwide consumer reporting agency (Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion), it will be automatically placed with the other two nationwide consumer reporting agencies. To place a fraud alert on your credit reports, contact one of the nationwide credit reporting companies. A fraud alert is free.
- Consider placing a credit freeze with Equifax, Experian, and Transunion. This is in lieu of placing a fraud alert and makes it harder for someone to open a new account in your name. Keep in mind that a credit freeze won’t prevent a thief from making charges to your existing accounts. Please note: There are specific requirements for placing and lifting a credit freeze that need to be carefully considered. Visit www.consumer.ftc.gov for complete details. To place a credit freeze on your credit reports, contact one of the nationwide credit reporting companies. Fees vary based on where you live, but commonly range from $5 to $10.
- Monitor your bank and credit card accounts closely. Keep an eye open for fraudulent activity and report it immediately. Please note that if fraud were to occur on your Altra accounts you are not liable.
General Best Practices for Privacy Protection
- Do NOT use the same password that you use for ANY financial site or credit card on any other site. If you have, change those passwords to a unique password for each site.
- Consider adding a Security Code Password to your accounts for added protection (if one is not already in place).
- Set up free Online Banking alerts at www.altra.org. Log into Online Banking and select the Online Services tab > Alerts > Manage Alerts to activate and edit existing alerts you would like to receive on your account.
- Review security questions on accounts to make sure your answers aren’t easily guessed or readily available.
- Be cautious with email and text communications. Scammers like to use large breaches to like this to send fake communications that link to fake websites requesting personal information. Do not click links or enter any personal information until you have verified the sender is legit.
Beware: Tax Scam Calls
People across the US are getting phone calls or emails from scam artists who pretend to be from the IRS or Department of the Treasury. They demand immediate payment of overdue taxes and threaten lawsuits or jail. They look and sound convincing, but they are trying to steal your money and your identity.
The IRS does NOT make initial contact with taxpayers by phone or email. Click the link below for tips from the IRS to help you avoid being a victim of a tax scam:
Scam Text Message: Debit Card Blocked
Members and non-members who have mobile numbers with a 608 area code are receiving scam text messages saying their Debit card is blocked. There is a link in the text to sign in to unlock, which takes them to a fake Altra mobile banking site.
If you receive one of these texts, DO NOT CLICK the link or enter any personal information. Never access any mobile financial site unless you are using the official app icon from the app you downloaded from iTunes or the Google Play Store.
Altra offers two Fraud Monitoring and Identity Theft Resolution programs for members:
Altra Secure ID – Free ID Theft Resolution
If you have an Altra checking account or credit card, you and your family have access to Altra Secure ID, a free identity management service powered by CyberScout™. This service is available for when a member has had an identity compromise. It does not provide pro-active monitoring. Learn more
Consider adding additional protection with Altra Secure ID Monitoring, a comprehensive identity protection and management service powered by CyberScout™ Learn more about this subscription service